Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Game on social sustainability 'In Demand'

Growing up I used to play games on my Nintendo 64 all the time. Everything from Mario Party to 007. As I got older, I dabbled with my Xbox 360 and some PC games but not to the extent my peers did. I’ve always liked video games, but I also liked reading and watching tv a bit more. 

When it comes to potentially creating a video game, I have to keep in mind what a good portion of people would even want to play. With the topic of sustainability, there is an assortment of ways to go about it. For this assignment, I have decided to focus on social sustainability.

The game I’m proposing would be called “In Demand” or something business related. For the story, the player would be in the position of as a newly elected CEO of an existing company. Modeled after mobile games such as “Dictator,” you will be presented with choices that will raise your relationship with certain groups, but also lower your relationship with others.

The groups would be your executive team, the board of directors, consumers, competitors and the media. Situations would range from launching a new product to handling a crisis. The choices presented would make the player consider what would be in the best interest of all (or most) and how to maintain balance amongst the groups.

If a relationship with a group sinks too low, the game ends with the firing of the CEO. This game would challenge players to not only find the balance to maintain solid relationships but also strive to remain in power as long as possible.


With it being a mobile game, “In Demand” would reach a wider audience while also appealing to casual, non-gamers such as myself.

3 comments:

  1. Brandon! I really like this. It is very logic-based and connects directly with real-world issues and scenarios. I appreciate the reality of the way you designed it to show how certain choices affect relationships with different types of people you're connected with. I love that and think that's a really important element of this realm that some people aren't aware of.

    Awesome stuff!
    -Cassidy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon,

    I really like how you focused on "social sustainability" and that its a mobile game. I think that would be a lot more successful than other kinds of games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brandon, cool design concept. I think the way you are designing the game is very realistic and I think much needed- to those just starting out, those who have established careers and who could use reminders and understanding that their actions have consequences. If developed, I think this would be a great game for college students, especially business majors. It could be used as a classroom resource and a learning experience tool. But overall, great concept!

    -Saba

    ReplyDelete