Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Tarantino Reflection: Ambition Over Critical Acclaim

While watching Quentin Tarantino’s interview with Charlie Rose from 1994, there was a question Rose posed regarding which film of his Tarantino liked more (“Reservoir Dogs” or “Pulp Fiction”). The answer Tarantino gave was one I found to be relatable. He says that to him “Pulp Fiction,” which came out two years after “Reservoir Dogs,” was the better film because it was more ambitious. 


As someone who writes and creates publishable content, I can understand where Tarantino is coming from. Regardless of if an older work is critically better, the work that one has spent the most time dedicated to and making the best it could be is the one the creator typically favors. At least, that has been my personal experience. Knowing that I did something that was challenging and ambitious makes me like it a bit more. Even if the audience or reader isn’t aware of the time and energy put into it, I still know what it took to get from point A to point B. This is what I think Tarantino was essentially saying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment